Mr James Aling
Mr Aling studied at Stellenbosch (1982-84) where he received a B. Agric Admin degree in agricultural economics and management. Post graduate studies included a BCom Hons at Wits while in Johannesburg at the Development Bank (1986-87) and later a M.Sc. in agricultural economics at Michigan State University in the USA (1990-1991).
He has been involved in the real estate sector for the last 25 years having been the Managing Director of HL Hall and Sons Properties (Pty) Ltd until Feb 2018. James is currently the owner of Spaces Places & Partnerships, an urban management business that manages the Riverside Park mixed use node, which is a vibrant growing precinct on 185 Ha of land, and the Riverside Industrial Park.
He is a strong believer in collective and collaborative initiatives and over the years has been involved in a number of sectors, business and community initiatives. These include:
- Established the South African Property Owners Association (SAPOA) Mpumalanga Regional Council and was the first Chair of the Regional Council and member of the national board of SAPOA for the period 2014 to 2018;
- Involved in the establishment of and first Chair of the board of the Mbombela Economic Development Partnership (MEDP);
- Involved in the establishment of the Lowveld Chamber of Business and Tourism and was the second President and member of the board for 10 years;
- A member of the South African Precinct Management Initiative Consultative Forum
- Chair of the Mbombela CID Forum;
- Council member of the University of Mpumalanga and Chair of the Facilities and Infrastructure Planning Committee; and
- Chair of the Penryn Council, an independent school located in Mbombela.