Master of Commerce in Business Management
The MCom in Business Management is a 180-credits and NQF exit-level 9 qualification which provide students with an opportunity to undertake independent and original research in Business Management and related fields, under the guidance of a supervisor or a supervision panel. This programme is by dissertation, meaning that 100% of the time is spent on independent, self-directed but supervised research. This supervision is provided through direct contact between the student and the supervisor. As such masters students will not attend lectures or tutorials, nor will they work in syndicate groups. The purpose of the MCom in Business Management is to equip students with advanced research skills in Business management and related fields, to contribute to the development of knowledge. The programme further aims to contribute to the graduate employability strategy through producing graduates who are capable of independent research and analysis, critical and innovative thinking as well as implementation and transfer of lifelong learning skills to other students, the community, and industry.
The minimum requirements for admission into the MCom in Business Management programme are:
- BCom Honours (NQF level 8) in Business management or related field, with a weighted cumulative average pass of at least 60% OR,
- Postgraduate Diploma (NQF level 8) in Business management or related field, with a weighted cumulative average pass of at least 60%.
- Admission to the MCom in Business Management can be influenced by staff capacity, availability of resources within the department as well as academic merit of the potential candidate, among other factors. As staff capacity and resources can fluctuate from year to year, the number of students selected can also differ from year to year. Should the number of applicants that meet the admission requirements exceed the available capacity of the department, the following criteria will be used to finalize the list of selected applicants:
- The choice of a field of study or topic in which adequate expertise and capacity exists in the department to be able to offer supervision.
- Demonstrated capability of the candidate to successfully complete a postgraduate study, as assessed by the department.
|Duration of study
|1 – 2 years.
Upon successful completion of the Master of Commerce programme, students will be able to continue into a PhD programme in Business Management or related fields.
Dr Floyd Khoza
Tel: 013 002 0360